Materials Technology and Engineering (MTE)
Materials Technology and Engineering (MTE) is concerned with the design, manufacture, and use of all classes of materials (including metals, ceramics, polymers and composites, with energy, environmental, health and economic considerations. MTE is concerned with developing and improving processes for producing materials, developing new materials or improving existing materials, and/or achieving better utilization of materials. This programme, first of its kind in the country and region at large, addresses the long standing gap between the existing and the internationally emerging technologies in materials processing as per demand by the local industry.
PROGRAMME AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The objective of the Materials Technology and Engineering program is to provide its graduates with fundamental knowledge to function effectively in materials related positions in industry, government and academia. In particular, graduates will be equipped to:
- Analyse properties, and performance of all materials families and systems.
- Identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems in materials selection, processing, and application utilizing relationships between structure, processing, properties, and performance of all materials families and systems.
- and/or process selection and design problems involving metals, ceramics, polymers and composites.
- Use modern techniques, skills, creativity and tools required in the practice of materials science and engineering in conjunction with economic, environmental, ethical, safety, and other considerations.
PROGRAMME STUDY AREAS
- Mechanics of Materials
- Materials Testing and Characterization
- Foundry Technology
- Process Metallurgy
- Physical Metallurgy
- Materials Thermodynamics
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Ceramic Processing
- Composite Materials
- Corrosion Science & Engineering
- Smart Materials
At least 2 Advanced Level passes in Mathematics, Chemistry or Physics and any other appropriate science subject(s).
Alternatively the candidate must possess at least an ND in Materials Technology& Engineering or equivalent.
This is a four-year fulltime program of study to honours degree level. Each academic year, with the exception of year 3, is divided into two semesters, with each semester being fifteen weeks duration, including examination time. Year 3 consists of a study period of fifteen weeks after which students are placed on thirty weeks industrial internship.
A major attraction of this programme is the breadth of career opportunities available to graduates. Graduates can be employed as Materials Processing Engineers, Materials Scientists, Forensic Experts, Researchers and Metallurgists in the following sectors: Robotics, Microelectronics, Manufacturing, Mining, Metallurgical, Chemical, Biomedical/ bioengineering technologies, Telecommunications, Forensic Service Departments and Research Institutions.